A chemical Freedom Industries spilled at least 10,000 gallons of into the supplies of drinking water to nine West Virginia counties a month ago is still being found in water piped into some schools there. Mackenzie Mays of the Charleston Gazette reported Thursday on the latest situation. On Wednesday, a Riverside High School teacher, who had fainted, and a student were transported to the hospital. Many students complained of lightheadedness and burning eyes and noses:
Now, some schools in Kanawha County are being forced to close again because the black-licorice odor associated with the Crude MCHM coal-cleaning chemical is returning, and there are reports of fainting and other side effects while faucets are running—posing questions about the potential dangers of inhaling the water’s fumes, as well.
Three Kanawha County schools abruptly closed Thursday after school staff members reported that they’d smelled the odor, and cooks complained of burning eyes and nausea. The incidents mirrored problems at two Belle-area schools on Wednesday, which also were forced to dismiss students early.